Header

Because the Kiddo wants to share his videos

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Cafe Rio Chicken

I found a yummy looking recipe I just had to try on pinterest, where I find all my ideas. Yes, my name is Nicole and I am a pinterest addict. But I digress. Back to the chicken, Cafe Rio Chicken to be precise.













So I did the recipe a little differently. You can click on the pinterest link to find the original at chef-n-training.blogspot.com. The original is probably more spicy, but I changed it up knowing what D would eat. Anything even remotely spicy and he opts out of dinner. It really is one of those recipes you can change to your own liking.


Cafe Rio Chicken
Adapted from chef-n-training.blogspot.com.
  • 2 lbs chicken breasts
  • 4 oz Italian dressing
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • 1 pkt ranch dressing mix (mixed with 1/2 cup of water)
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin

I put my chicken into the crockpot frozen. (If I have to defrost it, it is no longer a quick recipe for me.) I added the rest of the ingredients. I put it on high for a couple of hours and then lowered the heat to low for about 5 hours. When the chicken was done, I shredded it, placed it back into the crockpot and left it on low till dinner. 

An easy trick to shred the chicken is place it in your kitchen aid with the paddle attachment. Run the mixer on low for about 5 seconds. Perfectly shredded chicken. I know you have to then clean the bowl and attachment, but that is still less time than shredding 2 lbs of hot chicken. Note: Never do this with cold chicken. I have never tried it, but I heard it can break your mixer.

We used the chicken to make burritos. A tortilla, some rice, some beans, the chicken, and a little cheese. So yummy. I made about 18 burritos and still had chicken left. No, we did not east 18 burritos. But I probably could have. Yum yum! I wrapped the extras up in foil, threw them in a freezer bag and labeled them. Homemade frozen burritos. 

The chicken was great. D, the 4 year old who decided recently he doesn't like any meat, had 3 servings.  This is definitely going to be a freeze staple in my house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment